Punjab CM Badal`s wife cremated
Badal (Muktsar): The body of Surinder
Kaur Badal, wife of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal,
who died after battling cancer for a long time, was consigned
to flames here on Wednesday.
Her son and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal
lit the pyre.
Surinder Kaur, suffering from throat and pancreatic
cancer, died at PGIMER yesterday at the age of 75.
Shiv Raj V Patil and Jagannath Pahadia, Governors of
Punjab and Haryana respectively, laid wreaths on the body of
Family members, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh
Hooda, his Himachal Pradesh counterpart Prem Kumar Dhumal and
a number of political leaders attended the funeral at Badal`s
native village here.
Badal`s brother Gurdas Singh Badal, his son Manpreet
Singh Badal, MP Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa and former Haryana Chief
Minister Om Prakash Chautala also attended the cremation.
Senior BJP leaders L K Advani and Sushma Swaraj were
unable to attend the cremation as their aircraft could not
take off from Bathinda airport due to inclement weather.
Earlier, the residence of Sukhbir Badal was thrown
open to the people to pay their last respects to the departed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?