Punjab CM bats for genuine federal structure
Moga (Punjab): In order to ensure the balanced growth of the rural areas in a holistic manner, the Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday said the Union government must implement the genuine federal structure in the country.
The chief minister, who was here to address a public gathering, said that knowing well the needs of the country, the framers of the Indian Constitution had envisaged true federal system for the nation.
However, he said that unfortunately by adopting the policy of excessive centralisation of powers, the successive Congress governments at the centre have turned it into a unitary form of government.
"Due to the weakening of the federal structure the country was not only facing a number of social maladies like poverty, unemployment, illiteracy but it has also adversely affected the progress of the states," Badal said.
He alleged that this policy of the Union government has resulted in the lopsided development of many areas, adding the states were virtually on the mercy of the Centre to carry out the development works.
"We have to seek permission from the Centre for even carrying out any small work of public importance," Badal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report