Punjab CM contests rights group claim in US court
Washington: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal through his attorney in a US court has contested the claims of a human rights group that he was served court summons in a case related to alleged human rights violations.
During a marathon hearing held in a US court in Wisconsin on Thursday, Biskupic & Jacobs - the attorneys representing Badal - produced witnesses to buttress their assertion that the Punjab Chief Minister was shopping and was not present at the Oak Creek High School when the New York-based Sikh for Justice claims to have presented him with the court summons.
Badal was in Wisconsin for the wedding of daughter of Darshan Singh Dhaliwal in August 2012 when "Sikhs For Justice" (SFJ) filed a human rights violations lawsuit against him under Alien Torts Claims Act and Torture Victims Protection Act in the Federal District Court of Wisconsin.
The human rights violation case against Badal has been filed by Sikh for Justice and the SAD (Amritsar).
Appearing in support of Badal, before Judge Adelman, Surinderpal Singh Kalra, a Chicago-based Sikh, testified that "on February 19, 2013 he found original summons and complaint that the process server had given him at Oak Creek High School, in the trunk of his car".
He claimed that the papers were handed over to him and not to Badal. Kalra also testified under oath that upon finding the original summons, he "immediately contacted Darshan Singh Dhaliwal".
However, he could not explain when cross examined by rights group`s attorneys that "what made him come forward after six months of silence and the circumstances of finding the original Summons in the trunk of his car".
Special Agents from Diplomatic Security Service of the US Department of State testified that Badal was "shopping" at Boelter Super Store from 4:49 pm to 5:09 pm while the process server testified that he "served Badal" at 4:50 pm at Oak Creek High School where a ceremony was being held in honour of Sikh victims of Oak Creek Gurudwara shooting.
Badal`s presence was claimed at Wisconsin State Fare, shopping at George Watts and Son Store and Boelter Super Store on August 09, 2012, the day Christopher G Kratochvil claimed serving Badal at Oak Creek High School, Wisconsin.
Following the hearing Judge Adelman granted Sikh for Justice time till April 05, to probe the evidence, complete the jurisdictional discovery about the service of summon on Badal and submit supporting memorandum of law to the Court.
In a statement, Gurpatwant Singh Pannun of SFJ said that rights group will subpoena the complete logs and records of Badal`s security detail from the US Department of State to verify the Badal`s claim of shopping at different locations and his absence from Oak Creek High School.
SFJ will also subpoena Kalra to discover his economic interest in the State of Punjab and his connections with Darshan Singh Dhaliwal and Badal, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes