Punjab CM contests rights group claim in US court
Washington: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal through his attorney in a US court has contested the claims of a human rights group that he was served court summons in a case related to alleged human rights violations.
During a marathon hearing held in a US court in Wisconsin on Thursday, Biskupic & Jacobs - the attorneys representing Badal - produced witnesses to buttress their assertion that the Punjab Chief Minister was shopping and was not present at the Oak Creek High School when the New York-based Sikh for Justice claims to have presented him with the court summons.
Badal was in Wisconsin for the wedding of daughter of Darshan Singh Dhaliwal in August 2012 when "Sikhs For Justice" (SFJ) filed a human rights violations lawsuit against him under Alien Torts Claims Act and Torture Victims Protection Act in the Federal District Court of Wisconsin.
The human rights violation case against Badal has been filed by Sikh for Justice and the SAD (Amritsar).
Appearing in support of Badal, before Judge Adelman, Surinderpal Singh Kalra, a Chicago-based Sikh, testified that "on February 19, 2013 he found original summons and complaint that the process server had given him at Oak Creek High School, in the trunk of his car".
He claimed that the papers were handed over to him and not to Badal. Kalra also testified under oath that upon finding the original summons, he "immediately contacted Darshan Singh Dhaliwal".
However, he could not explain when cross examined by rights group`s attorneys that "what made him come forward after six months of silence and the circumstances of finding the original Summons in the trunk of his car".
Special Agents from Diplomatic Security Service of the US Department of State testified that Badal was "shopping" at Boelter Super Store from 4:49 pm to 5:09 pm while the process server testified that he "served Badal" at 4:50 pm at Oak Creek High School where a ceremony was being held in honour of Sikh victims of Oak Creek Gurudwara shooting.
Badal`s presence was claimed at Wisconsin State Fare, shopping at George Watts and Son Store and Boelter Super Store on August 09, 2012, the day Christopher G Kratochvil claimed serving Badal at Oak Creek High School, Wisconsin.
Following the hearing Judge Adelman granted Sikh for Justice time till April 05, to probe the evidence, complete the jurisdictional discovery about the service of summon on Badal and submit supporting memorandum of law to the Court.
In a statement, Gurpatwant Singh Pannun of SFJ said that rights group will subpoena the complete logs and records of Badal`s security detail from the US Department of State to verify the Badal`s claim of shopping at different locations and his absence from Oak Creek High School.
SFJ will also subpoena Kalra to discover his economic interest in the State of Punjab and his connections with Darshan Singh Dhaliwal and Badal, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp