Punjab CM seeks instant convening of SGPC session
New Delhi: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash
Singh Badal on Tuesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to impress
upon him the immediate convening of the SGPC session to avoid
any financial crisis in the `Mini Parliament` of Sikhs in the
absence of its office-bearers.
Badal told the PM that the maiden session of Shiromani
Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee is significant as election of
office-bearers of the Sikh religious body needs to be done.
He cautioned that if the office bearers of SGPC were not
elected by March 31, there would be financial chaos in the
Sikh religious body.
The non-passing of the budget by the end of this month
would adversely affect the working of many gurudwaras falling
under its jurisdiction, which Badal said, would amount to
hurting the religious sentiments of Sikhs.
Badal claimed Sikhs were enraged over the unnecessary
meddling by the Congress in their religious affairs. He said
it was unfortunate that the Union government had delayed the
SGPC elections for more than two years, but was forced to hold
the polls after SAD protested.
He also accused the Congress of trying to capture the
SGPC by hobnobbing with forces opposed to Shiromani Akali Dal.
"But having failed in their ulterior motives, the
Congress leadership is now delaying the election of office
bearers of SGPC due to which the Sikh community is highly
peeved," he told reporters after meeting the PM at his
Badal also met Home Minister P Chidamabaram in this
regard and later said both Prime Minister and Home Minister
have assured him of looking into the matter.
The Punjab Chief Minister expressed hope that the issue
would be soon resolved.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani