Punjab CM seeks instant convening of SGPC session
New Delhi: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash
Singh Badal on Tuesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to impress
upon him the immediate convening of the SGPC session to avoid
any financial crisis in the `Mini Parliament` of Sikhs in the
absence of its office-bearers.
Badal told the PM that the maiden session of Shiromani
Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee is significant as election of
office-bearers of the Sikh religious body needs to be done.
He cautioned that if the office bearers of SGPC were not
elected by March 31, there would be financial chaos in the
Sikh religious body.
The non-passing of the budget by the end of this month
would adversely affect the working of many gurudwaras falling
under its jurisdiction, which Badal said, would amount to
hurting the religious sentiments of Sikhs.
Badal claimed Sikhs were enraged over the unnecessary
meddling by the Congress in their religious affairs. He said
it was unfortunate that the Union government had delayed the
SGPC elections for more than two years, but was forced to hold
the polls after SAD protested.
He also accused the Congress of trying to capture the
SGPC by hobnobbing with forces opposed to Shiromani Akali Dal.
"But having failed in their ulterior motives, the
Congress leadership is now delaying the election of office
bearers of SGPC due to which the Sikh community is highly
peeved," he told reporters after meeting the PM at his
Badal also met Home Minister P Chidamabaram in this
regard and later said both Prime Minister and Home Minister
have assured him of looking into the matter.
The Punjab Chief Minister expressed hope that the issue
would be soon resolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Today in History, 24th September, 2016
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi