Punjab CM seeks instant convening of SGPC session
New Delhi: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash
Singh Badal on Tuesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to impress
upon him the immediate convening of the SGPC session to avoid
any financial crisis in the `Mini Parliament` of Sikhs in the
absence of its office-bearers.
Badal told the PM that the maiden session of Shiromani
Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee is significant as election of
office-bearers of the Sikh religious body needs to be done.
He cautioned that if the office bearers of SGPC were not
elected by March 31, there would be financial chaos in the
Sikh religious body.
The non-passing of the budget by the end of this month
would adversely affect the working of many gurudwaras falling
under its jurisdiction, which Badal said, would amount to
hurting the religious sentiments of Sikhs.
Badal claimed Sikhs were enraged over the unnecessary
meddling by the Congress in their religious affairs. He said
it was unfortunate that the Union government had delayed the
SGPC elections for more than two years, but was forced to hold
the polls after SAD protested.
He also accused the Congress of trying to capture the
SGPC by hobnobbing with forces opposed to Shiromani Akali Dal.
"But having failed in their ulterior motives, the
Congress leadership is now delaying the election of office
bearers of SGPC due to which the Sikh community is highly
peeved," he told reporters after meeting the PM at his
Badal also met Home Minister P Chidamabaram in this
regard and later said both Prime Minister and Home Minister
have assured him of looking into the matter.
The Punjab Chief Minister expressed hope that the issue
would be soon resolved.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion