Punjab Cong for more security after Babbar Khalsa threat
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Saturday sought
increased security for 10 of its office bearers, including
president Mohinder Singh Kaypee and at its headquarters here
following receipt of "threat letters" purportedly from the
Party general secretary Rajpal Singh in a communication
to the Director General of Punjab Police brought to his notice
the receipt of 10 envelopes addressed to Kaypee and some other
"The contents of the photocopied letter are the same for
all," he said. Copies of the letter have also been sent to the
Additional DGP of Intelligence and Security and the Senior
Superintendent of Police, Chandigarh.
The others who have received the "threat letters` include
general secretaries Tarlochan Singh and Raj Pal Singh, office
secretary Nirmal Rampal, chief organiser Congress Seva Dal
Rajinder Rasrania Mohinder Singh Kalyan, Rajpal Singh added.
"Kaypee and Tarlochan Singh lost their fathers at the
hands of terrorists. As the security of these persons is the
duty of the state, it is requested that adequate security be
provided to these persons immediately.
"At present there is no proper security arrangement at
the Punjab Congress Bhawan which houses the state headquarters
of the party," he said.
Singh said they have communicated with the Punjab DGP.
Since the security in the building is provided by the
Punjab Police they have approached the Punjab Police and not
the Chandigarh Police, he said in reply to a question.
Punjab DGP P S Gill and Chandigarh Senior Superintendent
of Police (SSP) S S Srivastava could not be contacted despite
The communication said senior leaders, including former
chief ministers, Leader of the Opposition, Members of
Parliament and MLAs frequently visit the headquarters but
there are only three constables present on security duty in
the vast building.
"Only one constable is deployed at the main gate whereas
the whole surroundings remain unguarded. Whenever one of them
is on leave or on his weekly off, the remaining two perform
duty 12 hours at a stretch each. It is requested that security
arrangements be beefed up at Punjab Congress Bhawan,
Chandigarh," the communication said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy