Punjab Cong legislator`s brother-in-law held for fake passport
Chandigarh: A Punjab legislator`s brother-in-law, originally from Afghanistan but living here after allegedly procuring a passport with a fake identity and a wrong address, has been arrested, an official said on Saturday.
Walid Khan, brother-in-law of Randeep Singh Nabha -- legislator from the Congress party -- was arrested late Friday after a complaint from intelligence agencies and the Regional Passport Office (RPO) here.
"Walid Khan had come to India in 1996 on a student visa after obtaining passport from Kabul, Afghanistan. After the expiry of his visa, he started living here on a refugee certificate that he got from the UN. We will also check the authenticity of this certificate," a police officer said.
"During the investigation, we found that Walid managed to obtain an Indian passport in the name of Wali and had given the address in Nabha town in Punjab where Randeep Singh lives. We have got all the required documents from RPO," the officer said.
The Indian passport of Walid carried a fake name and wrong address but has his own photograph.
Randeep Singh is married to an Afghanistan-based woman and lives here in up-scale Sector 5.
Police have informed officials at the Afghanistan embassy in New Delhi about the arrest.
After reaching India in 1996, Walid took admission in a three-year Bachelor of Arts course at Government College in neighbouring town Mohali. After completing his studies, he did not return to Afghanistan and started living with his sister and brother-in-law in Chandigarh.
In 2000, he got the refugee certificate and since then he is continuously renewing it. Presently his refugee certificate is valid till June 2010.
"Due to political rivalry with Randeep Singh, someone made a fake passport using my photograph. They are trying to malign the clean image of our family," Walid told police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’