Punjab Cong seeks emergency session of state Assembly
Chandigarh: To discuss "hopeless financial situation" of Punjab and imposition of taxes by the SAD-BJP government, the main opposition Congress has sought convening of emergency session of the state Assembly.
A delegation of the Congress MLAs led by the Leader of Opposition Sunil Jakhar will meet Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil on Tuesday to emphasise the need for emergency session of the Punjab assembly.
"The Congress has sought convening the session to discuss hopeless financial situation of the state and unconstitutional practice adopted by the SAD-BJP government to impose taxes just after presenting state budget in the assembly," a party release said on sunday.
"The incumbent Punjab government should not be allowed to take decisions which are kept beyond the purview of elected Assembly of state," it said.
Recently, the Punjab government has decided to levy a few fresh taxes, including property tax to mop up additional resources to the tune of Rs 900 crore per year.
However, shifting the blame on the Centre, the state government had maintained that it was arm twisted to levy property tax on urban population as Union government had stopped the release of grants under JNRUM schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- PM Modi condoles former Singapore President Nathan's death
- No. 1 in Tests: Pakistan cricket team's rise completes journey from isolation to triumph
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'
- Watch: Pune bakery workers forced to do sit-ups for refusing to pay donation for Ganesh festival
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Assam