Punjab Cong seeks emergency session of state Assembly
Chandigarh: To discuss "hopeless financial situation" of Punjab and imposition of taxes by the SAD-BJP government, the main opposition Congress has sought convening of emergency session of the state Assembly.
A delegation of the Congress MLAs led by the Leader of Opposition Sunil Jakhar will meet Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil on Tuesday to emphasise the need for emergency session of the Punjab assembly.
"The Congress has sought convening the session to discuss hopeless financial situation of the state and unconstitutional practice adopted by the SAD-BJP government to impose taxes just after presenting state budget in the assembly," a party release said on sunday.
"The incumbent Punjab government should not be allowed to take decisions which are kept beyond the purview of elected Assembly of state," it said.
Recently, the Punjab government has decided to levy a few fresh taxes, including property tax to mop up additional resources to the tune of Rs 900 crore per year.
However, shifting the blame on the Centre, the state government had maintained that it was arm twisted to levy property tax on urban population as Union government had stopped the release of grants under JNRUM schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday