Punjab Cong seeks emergency session of state Assembly
Chandigarh: To discuss "hopeless financial situation" of Punjab and imposition of taxes by the SAD-BJP government, the main opposition Congress has sought convening of emergency session of the state Assembly.
A delegation of the Congress MLAs led by the Leader of Opposition Sunil Jakhar will meet Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil on Tuesday to emphasise the need for emergency session of the Punjab assembly.
"The Congress has sought convening the session to discuss hopeless financial situation of the state and unconstitutional practice adopted by the SAD-BJP government to impose taxes just after presenting state budget in the assembly," a party release said on sunday.
"The incumbent Punjab government should not be allowed to take decisions which are kept beyond the purview of elected Assembly of state," it said.
Recently, the Punjab government has decided to levy a few fresh taxes, including property tax to mop up additional resources to the tune of Rs 900 crore per year.
However, shifting the blame on the Centre, the state government had maintained that it was arm twisted to levy property tax on urban population as Union government had stopped the release of grants under JNRUM schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok