Punjab Cong seeks emergency session of state Assembly
Chandigarh: To discuss "hopeless financial situation" of Punjab and imposition of taxes by the SAD-BJP government, the main opposition Congress has sought convening of emergency session of the state Assembly.
A delegation of the Congress MLAs led by the Leader of Opposition Sunil Jakhar will meet Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil on Tuesday to emphasise the need for emergency session of the Punjab assembly.
"The Congress has sought convening the session to discuss hopeless financial situation of the state and unconstitutional practice adopted by the SAD-BJP government to impose taxes just after presenting state budget in the assembly," a party release said on sunday.
"The incumbent Punjab government should not be allowed to take decisions which are kept beyond the purview of elected Assembly of state," it said.
Recently, the Punjab government has decided to levy a few fresh taxes, including property tax to mop up additional resources to the tune of Rs 900 crore per year.
However, shifting the blame on the Centre, the state government had maintained that it was arm twisted to levy property tax on urban population as Union government had stopped the release of grants under JNRUM schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley