Punjab Cong seeks IB for leaders’ security post Brar attack
New Delhi: Close on the heels of the attack on Lt Gen (retd) KS Brar, Punjab Congress Friday petitioned to the Centre against the Akali Dal-led state government for sympathising with radical elements.
Congress Legislature Party Leader Sunil Jakhar yesterday met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and handed over a memorandum to him demanding deputation of Intelligence Bureau and other security agencies to ensure the security of leaders in Punjab.
Jhakar, the Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, said the state government was "changing the definition of martyrs by calling the killers of former CM Beant Singh as martyrs".
He also raised the issue of Akalis promoting radicalism in the state by openly backing a memorial for those killed in `Operation Blue Star`.
In the memorandum submitted on the behalf of Punjab Congress, Jakhar said the Akali-BJP government in the state had "failed to give direction to the youth of the state, causing unemployment and offering ready fodder for radical elements."
He said even though the Akali-led government had been elected for the second time, it was indulging in gimmicks.
"This kind of game is dangerous. More than Akalis, the BJP is to be blamed because their silence on the issue is deafening. They have refused to come out openly against the attackers of Lt Gen Brar," Jakhar said, seeking safety for those who had opposed pro-Khalistani movement.
78-year-old Brar was attacked near London`s Oxford Street on last Sunday while he was returning back to his hotel earlier this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing