Punjab Cong seeks IB for leaders’ security post Brar attack
New Delhi: Close on the heels of the attack on Lt Gen (retd) KS Brar, Punjab Congress Friday petitioned to the Centre against the Akali Dal-led state government for sympathising with radical elements.
Congress Legislature Party Leader Sunil Jakhar yesterday met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and handed over a memorandum to him demanding deputation of Intelligence Bureau and other security agencies to ensure the security of leaders in Punjab.
Jhakar, the Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, said the state government was "changing the definition of martyrs by calling the killers of former CM Beant Singh as martyrs".
He also raised the issue of Akalis promoting radicalism in the state by openly backing a memorial for those killed in `Operation Blue Star`.
In the memorandum submitted on the behalf of Punjab Congress, Jakhar said the Akali-BJP government in the state had "failed to give direction to the youth of the state, causing unemployment and offering ready fodder for radical elements."
He said even though the Akali-led government had been elected for the second time, it was indulging in gimmicks.
"This kind of game is dangerous. More than Akalis, the BJP is to be blamed because their silence on the issue is deafening. They have refused to come out openly against the attackers of Lt Gen Brar," Jakhar said, seeking safety for those who had opposed pro-Khalistani movement.
78-year-old Brar was attacked near London`s Oxford Street on last Sunday while he was returning back to his hotel earlier this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez