Punjab Congress airs Majithia CD, Speaker rushes t
Chandigarh: Undeterred by the ban and appeals against it, Punjab Congress went ahead and screened the controversial CD, in which Akali minister Bikram Singh Majithia was reportedly shown hurling abuses at a Congress MLA in Assembly, prompting Speaker to rush to Delhi seeking opinion on the piquant situation.
The one minute long clippings of the CD was played on a number of occasions yesterday at a political rally of the Congress at the ongoing Maghi `Mela` (fair) in Muktsar district.
A number of senior leaders from the state Congress including Leader of Opposition Sunil Jakhar were present at the Muktsar rally. Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal was also there, though the CD was not played during the time he remained present.
Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh today said he took "full responsibility for screening of the video clip showing Revenue and Public Relations Minister and Youth Akali Dal President Bikram Singh Majithia hurling abuses at Congress MLA Rana Gurjeet Singh in the assembly (session last month at Chandigarh)".
Amarinder remained defiant, saying the footage was already in the public domain and its "ban was irrelevant".
The video clip was earlier shown at the main Sector 17 Commercial Centre here by the Congress.
Punjab Assembly Speaker Charanjit Singh Atwal rushed to Delhi to meet his lawmaker friends to seek opinion on the piquant situation that has arisen after airing of the CD, which showed Majithia allegedly hurling abuses at Congress MLA Rana Gurjit Singh on the floor of the Assembly.
"I met some of my friends in Delhi today. I had gone there to seek a full understanding of law in this case. I wanted to know what is done in situations when something live goes on air, like the Parliament has its own channel, which afterwards is expunged by the Speaker.
"In a day or two, I will get accurate legal position in the matter," Atwal, who had earlier also served as the Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker, told a news agency over phone.
Amarinder claimed that the Speaker`s order of expunging it from the Assembly records or banning its display "was irrelevant since it was already in the public domain."
Since it (the video clip) was broadcast live on news channels with Speaker`s permission only, how can it be expunged now, Amarinder said.
He said, it was more than obvious and clearly audible what Majithia had said in the assembly.
"All the members present in the House, the journalists in the media gallery and everybody heard what Majithia said and still he (the Speaker) was claiming that he did not hear anything," he claimed.
Referring to the Speaker "exploring the options of taking legal action against the Congress MLAs for screening the video and seeking opinion from constitutional experts", the PCC president said, "he (the Speaker) should better examine his own role and constitutional duty first."
Moreover, he told the Speaker that he had ordered the screening of the video at the Muktsar rally and none of his MLAs should be held responsible for that.
He asked the Speaker as why he was not prepared to take any action against Majithia "even now when the whole world knows what he has spoken inside the august chamber he (the Speaker) presides over."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!