Punjab Congress appeals to Hazare to end fast
Chandigarh: The Congress` Punjab unit on Friday
appealed to Anna Hazare to end his 11-day-old fast on Jan
PPCC chief Amarinder Singh said it is important to take
the anti-graft movement to its logical conclusion, but at
the same time 74-year-old Hazare`s health is a cause of
The entire nation has acknowledged Hazare`s contribution
in bringing the issue of corruption to the forefront of the
public discourse, he said.
Singh pointed out that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has
reiterated his commitment to bring a strong Lokpal and
Parliament has started the debate on the bill.
The former Punjab Chief Minister maintained that Hazare
had stirred the nation`s conscience. At the same time, he
said, it was important to acknowledge that Manmohan Singh
has shown "unfailing commitment" to weed out corruption from
"People have been divested of their ministerial and Chief
Ministerial portfolios and some even put behind bars which
show the keenness and commitment of the government led by
Manmohan Singh," Singh said, while appealing Hazare that he
should have faith in the Prime Minister whose integrity was
Singh vowed that the Congress will strengthen the
institution of Lokayukta when it comes to power in Punjab.
Meanwhile, a bandh called by social organisations in Hisar
to express solidarity with Hazare evoked overwhelming response
as most of the shops, commercial establishments remained
Shops in main bazaars including Rajguru Market, Nagori
Gate, Moti Bazar, Sabji Mandi, Grain Market, Railway road
downed their shutters.
A number of people gathered at old government college
ground and raised slogans in support of Hazare.
However, services of trains and Haryana Roadways
were not affected by the bandh.
Supporters of Hazare also raised slogans in front of the
residences of MP Naveen Jindal and MLA Savitri Jindal.
In Ludhiana, over 300 employees of a textile firm donated
blood to express solidarity with Hazare.
The employees and workers of various units belonging to
Sportking Group of Industries donated blood at the company
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians