Punjab Congress decries power tariff hike
Chandigarh: Opposition Congress in Punjab on Monday criticised the SAD-BJP led state government for the "exorbitant" 12 per cent hike in power tariff and demanded a rollback.
Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President Amarinder Singh said, "It (power tariff hike) is a real power shock to the people of Punjab".
The PCC President said he and his party had consistently been maintaining that the state government was planning to increase power tariff and was only waiting for first the municipal and other local bodies elections and then the Dasuya byelection.
Amarinder asked the Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to forego the huge subsidy he is allegedly getting on power for his thousands of acres of agriculture land.
Demanding that the hike must be reversed immediately, the former Chief Minister said, the Power Corporation should instead prevent the losses caused due to the massive pilferage and also in transmission and distribution.
Meanwhile, leader of opposition in Punjab Sunil Jakhar said, "It (power tariff hike) is pre-cursor of impending financial burden SAD BJP is planning to put on helpless and harassed public of Punjab through a bout of fresh taxes on public utilities, residential properties and increase in VAT."
He said the present hike in power tariff, the electricity is now not affordable the industry in Punjab will have no option but to shut down their shops.
He said power utility Punjab State Power Corporation Limited has one of the highest expenses per Mega Watt and no effort is being made to make it efficient.
"Instead of cutting expenses and reducing transmission and distribution losses PSPCL has always taken easier route of passing financial burden on consumers," he said.
Jakhar alleged that out of five new thermal plants, more than 3960 MW to be produced by NTPC and Indiabulls may not see light of day.
PSPCL must be asked to cut on its expenses and reduce its losses. Power theft that is happening with the connivance of officials must be checked, he said.
Punjab Congress will soon launch state wide protest against the SAD BJP government to "extort" money through such measures, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know