Punjab Congress divided on CM candidate
Patiala: Differences have appeared in the
state Congress unit over the nomination of the party`s chief
ministerial candidate for the upcoming Punjab Assembly polls.
Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC) vice-president
Lal Singh on Friday announced that Amarinder Singh would be next
chief minister if the party returns to power in the state.
Lal is the second Punjab Congress leader after Gurdaspur
MP Partap Singh Bajwa who has spoken in favour of Amarinder.
During the conference held here for the `Punjab Bachao
Yatra`, Lal Singh said people want to see Amarinder as the
Chief Minister of Punjab.
Leader of Opposition Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, a known bete
noire of Amarinder, however, contested the claim of both
Bajwa and Lal Singh.
She told reporters that it was the purely the prerogative
of Congress President Sonia Gandhi to elect the CM candidate.
"The appointment of chief ministerial candidate is the
right of Congress high command...Our priority right now is to
win the elections. It is up to the high command and Congress
president Sonia Gandhi to take a decision on who will occupy
the top post if the party is voted to power," Bhattal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'