Punjab Congress divided on CM candidate
Patiala: Differences have appeared in the
state Congress unit over the nomination of the party`s chief
ministerial candidate for the upcoming Punjab Assembly polls.
Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC) vice-president
Lal Singh on Friday announced that Amarinder Singh would be next
chief minister if the party returns to power in the state.
Lal is the second Punjab Congress leader after Gurdaspur
MP Partap Singh Bajwa who has spoken in favour of Amarinder.
During the conference held here for the `Punjab Bachao
Yatra`, Lal Singh said people want to see Amarinder as the
Chief Minister of Punjab.
Leader of Opposition Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, a known bete
noire of Amarinder, however, contested the claim of both
Bajwa and Lal Singh.
She told reporters that it was the purely the prerogative
of Congress President Sonia Gandhi to elect the CM candidate.
"The appointment of chief ministerial candidate is the
right of Congress high command...Our priority right now is to
win the elections. It is up to the high command and Congress
president Sonia Gandhi to take a decision on who will occupy
the top post if the party is voted to power," Bhattal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!