Punjab Congress hails direct relief payment to far
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Sunday hailed the Centre`s decision to provide direct relief to farmers, hit by the drought in the state, saying the move will benefit them to recover from the losses incurred due to deficient rainfall and also throw the middlemen out.
Punjab Congress General Secretary Arvind Khanna, while talking to reporters here said," this is a welcome step and will throw the middlemen out."
The Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar recently made announcement here that the drought-hit farmers in Punjab will get the relief payment directly through their Kisan Credit cards and bank accounts.
Taking a dig at the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal for opposing the move, Khanna said it was surprising that a party claiming itself to be the "pro-farmer" could oppose something that was purely in farmers` interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"