Punjab Congress hails direct relief payment to far
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Sunday hailed the Centre`s decision to provide direct relief to farmers, hit by the drought in the state, saying the move will benefit them to recover from the losses incurred due to deficient rainfall and also throw the middlemen out.
Punjab Congress General Secretary Arvind Khanna, while talking to reporters here said," this is a welcome step and will throw the middlemen out."
The Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar recently made announcement here that the drought-hit farmers in Punjab will get the relief payment directly through their Kisan Credit cards and bank accounts.
Taking a dig at the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal for opposing the move, Khanna said it was surprising that a party claiming itself to be the "pro-farmer" could oppose something that was purely in farmers` interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral