Punjab Congress hails direct relief payment to far
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Sunday hailed the Centre`s decision to provide direct relief to farmers, hit by the drought in the state, saying the move will benefit them to recover from the losses incurred due to deficient rainfall and also throw the middlemen out.
Punjab Congress General Secretary Arvind Khanna, while talking to reporters here said," this is a welcome step and will throw the middlemen out."
The Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar recently made announcement here that the drought-hit farmers in Punjab will get the relief payment directly through their Kisan Credit cards and bank accounts.
Taking a dig at the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal for opposing the move, Khanna said it was surprising that a party claiming itself to be the "pro-farmer" could oppose something that was purely in farmers` interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city