Punjab Congress hails direct relief payment to far
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Sunday hailed the Centre`s decision to provide direct relief to farmers, hit by the drought in the state, saying the move will benefit them to recover from the losses incurred due to deficient rainfall and also throw the middlemen out.
Punjab Congress General Secretary Arvind Khanna, while talking to reporters here said," this is a welcome step and will throw the middlemen out."
The Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar recently made announcement here that the drought-hit farmers in Punjab will get the relief payment directly through their Kisan Credit cards and bank accounts.
Taking a dig at the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal for opposing the move, Khanna said it was surprising that a party claiming itself to be the "pro-farmer" could oppose something that was purely in farmers` interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next