Punjab: Congress MLA to join SAD
Moga: Joginder Pal Jain, the Congress MLA
from Moga in Punjab, has decided to resign from the party and the state assembly before joining the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD).
He will be inducted into SAD in the presence of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal at a function in Chandigarh on December 26, party sources said.
Confirming that he was quitting the party and as an MLA, Jain told reporters he had been offered SAD ticket to contest again from Moga.
In reply to a question, he said had asked both the Chief Minister and his Deputy for a cabinet berth.
Both had assured him "good political assignment", he said.
In 2012 state assembly election, Jain defeated former DGP Paramdeep Singh Gill who contested on SAD ticket.
Some Congress leaders, including MLAs, have asked Jain to reconsider his decision.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference