Punjab: Congress MLA to join SAD
Moga: Joginder Pal Jain, the Congress MLA
from Moga in Punjab, has decided to resign from the party and the state assembly before joining the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD).
He will be inducted into SAD in the presence of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal at a function in Chandigarh on December 26, party sources said.
Confirming that he was quitting the party and as an MLA, Jain told reporters he had been offered SAD ticket to contest again from Moga.
In reply to a question, he said had asked both the Chief Minister and his Deputy for a cabinet berth.
Both had assured him "good political assignment", he said.
In 2012 state assembly election, Jain defeated former DGP Paramdeep Singh Gill who contested on SAD ticket.
Some Congress leaders, including MLAs, have asked Jain to reconsider his decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss