Punjab Congress moves EC against Akali`s conference
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Monday moved the state election commission against a proposed political conference by ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) at Anandpur Sahib on March 16, saying that it is a violation of the model code of conduct in force for the Lok Sabha polls.
In the complaint filed through state party Chief Partap Singh Bajwa, Congress has sought necessary orders from the commission to prohibit SAD from holding the conference.
The conference is to be held in the complex of Gurudwara Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib on the eve of an annual a religious function, `Holla Mohala`.
Gurudwara Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib is one of the five main top Sikh temporal seats.
"The political conference by the SAD in the Gurudwara Sahib complex would be highly violative of the model code of conduct as the same has already come into force with the announcement of general elections to the 16th Lok Sabha," Bajwa said in his complaint, copies of which were released to the media here.
If the political conference is allowed in the Gurudwara Sahib complex, where lakhs of devotees are expected to gather on the occasion of Holla Mohala, it would grossly violate the model code of conduct, Bajwa said.
The polling for the 13 seats of the state will be held on April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch