Punjab cop’s daughter to be appointed SI
Chandigarh: Punjab’s Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Thursday night ordered that the daughter of ASI Ravinder Pal Singh, who was shot dead on Wednesday, may immediately be enlisted as Sub Inspector in Punjab police as a special case.
"The girl displayed exemplary courage," said the Deputy Chief Minister.
The formalities to appoint the 23-year-old girl as SI will be completed soon, official sources said.
Earlier in the day, Badal had ordered the dismissal of Ashwani Kumar, SHO Chhehrta, who did not entertain the complaint of the girl. Punjab DGP Sumedh Saini has dismissed the SHO from service.
The girls` father was shot dead allegedly by local SAD leader Ranjit Singh Rana in broad daylight in Amritsar when he reached the spot to protect his daughter from being harassed by the ruling party leader.
Rana has been arrested and expelled by the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'