Punjab CPI (M) opposes Centre`s pre-conditions on Punjab`s loan
Chandigarh: Punjab unit of CPI (M) on Friday
opposed the pre-conditions set forth by the Centre for loan
waiver recently dubbing it as a `move against federalism` and
a `carrot and stick attempt` of the UPA Government.
"It (pre-conditions) is an attempt for imposing
neo-liberal economic ideology which is pauperising the
majority of the people," Punjab CPI (M) secretary Charan Singh
The Centre had set some pre-conditions which included
central auditing of local bodies, shutdown of loss making PSUs
and withdrawal of subsidy to certain sectors including farm.
Reacting to the conditions, Virdi said that Punjab
government should not succumb to the Centre`s pressure and
lodge a protest against these "nefarious anti-people and
Lashing out at Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh
Badal, who is already under fire within ruling Shiromani Akali
Dal (SAD) for allegedly following anti-people policies, he
said that Manpreet was bent upon harming the interests of
Stressing that subsidies should continue to the
agriculture sector, Virdi said that user charges for water,
sewerage and transport should not be enhanced.
Virdi demanded that the Centre should waive off the loan
of Punjab taken to fight militancy.
He also asked the Parkash Singh Badal government to
mobilise resources by imposing taxes upon rich and by
collecting tax arrears against the wealthy class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested