Punjab CPI (M) opposes Centre`s pre-conditions on Punjab`s loan
Chandigarh: Punjab unit of CPI (M) on Friday
opposed the pre-conditions set forth by the Centre for loan
waiver recently dubbing it as a `move against federalism` and
a `carrot and stick attempt` of the UPA Government.
"It (pre-conditions) is an attempt for imposing
neo-liberal economic ideology which is pauperising the
majority of the people," Punjab CPI (M) secretary Charan Singh
The Centre had set some pre-conditions which included
central auditing of local bodies, shutdown of loss making PSUs
and withdrawal of subsidy to certain sectors including farm.
Reacting to the conditions, Virdi said that Punjab
government should not succumb to the Centre`s pressure and
lodge a protest against these "nefarious anti-people and
Lashing out at Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh
Badal, who is already under fire within ruling Shiromani Akali
Dal (SAD) for allegedly following anti-people policies, he
said that Manpreet was bent upon harming the interests of
Stressing that subsidies should continue to the
agriculture sector, Virdi said that user charges for water,
sewerage and transport should not be enhanced.
Virdi demanded that the Centre should waive off the loan
of Punjab taken to fight militancy.
He also asked the Parkash Singh Badal government to
mobilise resources by imposing taxes upon rich and by
collecting tax arrears against the wealthy class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves