Punjab: Curfew lifted from Gurdaspur city
Gurdaspur: Curfew was lifted today from
Gurdaspur town of Punjab on the fifth day of its imposition in
the wake of communal clash and the death of a student in
police firing last week.
Pathankot DC Sibben C, who holds additional charge of
Gurdaspur district, said on today curfew had been withdrawn as
normalcy prevailed in the last two days during curfew
However, the ban on assembly of more than four persons
within the Gurdaspur municipal limit will continue as a
precautionary measure to maintain law and order.
Sibbin, who held a meeting with members of peace
committee set up to promote harmony, said the city people
assured the district administration that the committee members
in each ward would go from door to door to meet residents in
the sensitive pockets of the city to ensure that the otherwise
peaceful atmosphere in the city was not vitiated.
Shopkeepers at Hanuman chowk said they were happy that
curfew had been lifted and buyers were returning to bazaars
and there was no atmosphere of fear or tension among them.
Jaspal Singh, a student of an Engineering college was
killed in the firing on March 29, a day after a procession was
taken out in protest against the death sentence of Balwant
Singh Rajoana convicted in the killing of former Punjab Chief
Minister Beant Singh.
The state government transferred Gurdaspur Deputy
Commissioner Mohinder Singh and ordered suspension of SSP
Varinder Pal and a DSP Manpreet Singh in the wake of the clash
and police firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir