Punjab declares Sultanpur Lodhi holy town
Chandigarh: The Punjab government has given in-principle approval to declare Sultanpur Lodhi in Kapurthala district as a holy town in view of its religious and historical significance, an official said.
The decision was taken by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Friday during a meeting of the Sultanpur Lodhi development board.
"Badal has directed the revenue department officials to finalise the modalities to declare Sultanpur Lodhi as holy town at the earliest. He has also asked the chairman of Punjab Powercom to provide 24-hour uninterrupted power supply in the town," a government spokesperson said here on Saturday.
Sultanpur Lodhi, one of the ancient towns of India, holds high significance in Sikh religious history. The town has at least seven historical gurudwaras and Guru Nanak Dev, the founder of the religion, spent several years of his life there.
During archaeological surveys and digging, many monuments, statues and coins related to the Buddhist era were found in Sultanpur Lodhi. The town, which is believed to be established in the first century AD, had also seen many invasions and experienced many ups and downs since its inception.
According to the spokesman, "new roads will be constructed and existing roads will be repaired in Sultanpur Lodhi on top priority, while Rs 2 crore will be allocated for the execution of sewerage and drinking water schemes".
Badal also directed the concerned officials to release Rs 5.83 crore for flood protection works in the town and also sanctioned Rs 25 lakh for fire brigade services.
As Sultanpur Lodhi will now expect more tourists, Badal announced that the existing bus stand would be modernised to provide better facilities to commuters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced