Punjab DSP arrested in graft case
Chandigarh: A woman DSP, arrested for taking
Rs one lakh bribe by the CBI which also recovered cash and
valuables worth crores of rupees from her residence, was on Monday
remanded in two-day CBI custody.
A special CBI court here sent Raka Ghera to two days
custody even as the prosecution sought seven-day remand.
While the prosecution submitted that CBI sleuths have
recovered Rs 1 crore cash from her residence and Raka has
failed to give a satisfactory reply, the defence said the
money was laying in her house as she sold a plot recently.
Meanwhile, the CBI also checked the bank lockers,
accounts and office of the accused, and it is believed that
the probe agency has found some incrimination documents,
Ghera was arrested yesterday for allegedly accepting the
bribe from a builder in Mullanpur near here for settling a
CBI`s anti-corruption branch personnel later recovered Rs
1.10 crore cash, jewellery worth crores of rupees and fixed
deposits amounting to Rs 70 lakh from her residence here. They
had to use machines to count currency notes.
The incident came close on the heels of the CBI laying a
trap and arresting Assistant Inspector General of Punjab
Police PS Sandhu for accepting bribe.
Ghera, who got into police service on compassionate
grounds following the death of her husband, has been placed
under suspension by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'