`Punjab farmers bear Rs 5200-cr loss due to rain deficit`
Chandigarh: Farmers in Punjab have suffered a loss of Rs 5,200 crore due to deficit rain during the current monsoon, a top government official said on Friday.
The Centre should have discharged its constitutional duty by announcing special economic package for the state but the proposal put forward by Punjab has not been considered as yet, Sohan Singh Thandal, Chief Parliamentary Secretary, Irrigation said here.
He said the irrigation has been adversely affected due to deficit rain upto around 70 per cent, which caused a loss of Rs 5,200 crore to the farming community of Punjab.
Although some regions of the state had witnessed rain in past few days, but the water level in the main dams is still very low.
The water flow in the rivers is 10 per cent low and the generation of the power through the hydro projects had taken a sharp plunge, he added.
Thandal said due to this natural calamity, the peasantry of the state has been forced to spend more money on diesel to irrigate their fields.
The state incurred Rs 7,000 crore in the month of June and July to purchase power by spending Rs 1656 crore more than the normal rates, he said.
He said the water level in the Bhakra Dam is 55.77 feet, Pong Dam at 29.54 feet, while the water level at Ranjit Sagar Dam is 13.95 meter low than the previous year during the present time.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement