`Punjab farmers bear Rs 5200-cr loss due to rain deficit`
Chandigarh: Farmers in Punjab have suffered a loss of Rs 5,200 crore due to deficit rain during the current monsoon, a top government official said on Friday.
The Centre should have discharged its constitutional duty by announcing special economic package for the state but the proposal put forward by Punjab has not been considered as yet, Sohan Singh Thandal, Chief Parliamentary Secretary, Irrigation said here.
He said the irrigation has been adversely affected due to deficit rain upto around 70 per cent, which caused a loss of Rs 5,200 crore to the farming community of Punjab.
Although some regions of the state had witnessed rain in past few days, but the water level in the main dams is still very low.
The water flow in the rivers is 10 per cent low and the generation of the power through the hydro projects had taken a sharp plunge, he added.
Thandal said due to this natural calamity, the peasantry of the state has been forced to spend more money on diesel to irrigate their fields.
The state incurred Rs 7,000 crore in the month of June and July to purchase power by spending Rs 1656 crore more than the normal rates, he said.
He said the water level in the Bhakra Dam is 55.77 feet, Pong Dam at 29.54 feet, while the water level at Ranjit Sagar Dam is 13.95 meter low than the previous year during the present time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!