Punjab farmers will continue to get free power: Sukhbir
Tarn Taran: Farmers in Punjab will continue to get free electricity supply and the government has no plans to discontinue it, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Monday said.
Sukhbir, speaking after inaugurating the second day matches of the ongoing World Cup Kabaddi tournament, termed the initiative as lifeline for Punjab farmers and said "it will never be stopped."
He said soon, the state will also start providing tube well connections to farmers, with priority to those having less than 5 acres of farm land.
The Powercom is working day and night to fulfil the formalities for providing power connections to farmers having less than 5 acres land and by December end, they will get electricity connections, Sukhbir said.
Sukhbir said the first phase of Talwandi Sabo thermal plant has started power generation and within few months, other thermal plants will also be commissioned, thus making Punjab a power surplus state.
He asserted the SAD-BJP alliance is paying special attention towards promoting sports in the state.
Besides strengthening sports infrastructure, world-class stadiums are being developed both in cities and in villages, Sukhbir said.
He also laid the foundation stone of a stadium in Chohla Sahib, coming up with a cost of Rs 4 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered