Punjab flip-flop on panchayat dissolution
Chandigarh: Punjab on Sunday did a flip-flop on the issue of dissolution of 12,775 panchayats in the state.
Rural Development and Panchayats Minister Surjit Singh Rakhra had announced Friday that all the 12,775 panchayats (village councils) had been dissolved to pave the way for fresh elections, but the Punjab government Sunday said they would continue to function as earlier.
"The communication gap in this regard is highly regretted," an official said.
"The dates of the panchayat elections are yet to be announced and notified by the state election commission," the official added.
"Therefore, in view of legal provisions, the panchayats would continue to function till further orders and the matter of dissolution of panchayats and issuance of notification thereof would be taken up at a later stage," the official said.
Rakhra had announced Friday that the panchayats stood dissolved and even mentioned that powers of panchayats were being given to concerned officers so that development activities did not come to a halt in rural areas.
The state government had even issued a press statement Friday, based on Rakhra`s announcement of the dissolution.
The spokesman said that "the matter of election to the panchayats had been taken up with the state election commission".
Rakhra had even announced that the election process for the new panchayats would be completed before May 31.
He said 399 new panchayats have been constituted and the new election would be held for 13,110 panchayats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi