Punjab for funds to states on SC population basis
New Delhi: Punjab on Saturday suggested that
disbursement of funds to the states should be done on the
basis of their Scheduled Caste population and contribution of
foodgrains to the national pool by them.
In his speech at the National Development Council Meet
here, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal suggested an
amendment to the Gadgil/Mukherjee formula under which
population, per capita income, performance and special
problems are the four criteria used for disbursement of funds
to the states.
"We request that these criteria need to be amended and
should take into account the Scheduled Caste population in the
state and performance in terms of contribution of foodgrains
to the national pool in order to ensure food security," Badal
said in his speech read out by his Finance Minister Upinderjit
Kaur on his behalf at the NDC meet.
He insisted that the welfare of SCs should receive
special attention as required in the Scheduled Caste sub-plan.
He emphasised on increased food production as being equally
important in view of rising food prices and hunger levels.
"The 60 per cent weightage of population (under the
Gadgil/Mukherjee formula) should be split up into total
population (40 per cent) and SC population (20 per cent)...
"....The weightage of 25 per cent for per capita income
should be reduced to 15 per cent and the weightage of
performance should be increased to 17.5 per cent with 10 per
cent weightage to the contribution of foodgrains to the
national pool," Badal said.
Punjab also rued that its share in central taxes had
declined and sought a special package under the 12th Plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars