Punjab for funds to states on SC population basis
New Delhi: Punjab on Saturday suggested that
disbursement of funds to the states should be done on the
basis of their Scheduled Caste population and contribution of
foodgrains to the national pool by them.
In his speech at the National Development Council Meet
here, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal suggested an
amendment to the Gadgil/Mukherjee formula under which
population, per capita income, performance and special
problems are the four criteria used for disbursement of funds
to the states.
"We request that these criteria need to be amended and
should take into account the Scheduled Caste population in the
state and performance in terms of contribution of foodgrains
to the national pool in order to ensure food security," Badal
said in his speech read out by his Finance Minister Upinderjit
Kaur on his behalf at the NDC meet.
He insisted that the welfare of SCs should receive
special attention as required in the Scheduled Caste sub-plan.
He emphasised on increased food production as being equally
important in view of rising food prices and hunger levels.
"The 60 per cent weightage of population (under the
Gadgil/Mukherjee formula) should be split up into total
population (40 per cent) and SC population (20 per cent)...
"....The weightage of 25 per cent for per capita income
should be reduced to 15 per cent and the weightage of
performance should be increased to 17.5 per cent with 10 per
cent weightage to the contribution of foodgrains to the
national pool," Badal said.
Punjab also rued that its share in central taxes had
declined and sought a special package under the 12th Plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS