Punjab govt denies Brar`s charge on security downgrading
Chandigarh: Punjab government on Wednesday night denied the charge by Lt Gen (Retd.) KS Brar that the state government had downgraded his security from Z to Y category.
"It is absolute false and factually incorrect," Harcharan Bains, Advisor on National Affairs and Media to the Chief Minister said here referring to the reported claim of Brar.
Bains said the threat perception is categorised as Z or Y by the government of India and the state government has nothing to do with this.
"The Punjab Home Department assesses the threat perception of the state`s politicians and other important functionaries," he added.
Referring to the attack on Brar in London, Bains said "it was for the government of India to coordinate with the security agencies in the UK about the presence of a person with such high-level of security threat perception as Gen Brar."
"It is clear that neither the central security agencies nor the Indian High Commission in London had informed the London Police about his (Brar`s) presence or about the need for security to him," Bains said adding it is for the army authorities or the Union Home Department to coordinate on such sensitive issue", he said.
Bains said the "failure" of the Centre in this regard should be thoroughly probed and responsibility fixed.
The Advisor said "we are surprised that even a former Chief Minister of Punjab like Amarinder Singh should pretend not to know that the this issue (providing security or information to London Police about Brar) pertains to a security lapse by the government of India and it has nothing to do with Punjab government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India