‘Punjab govt fails to provide quality electricity’
Amritsar: Punjab government was on Sunday criticised for allegedly not developing long-term policies that provide constant and quality electricity supply in the state to enable its fast economic development.
People’s Party of Punjab NRI Wing president Amanpreet Singh Chhina in a statement here said that due to the shortage and poor quality of electricity in Punjab, both agriculture and industry were adversely suffering here.
Appropriate policies are required to fulfil the current and upcoming power consumption needs of the state so that inadequate power generation capacity should not become a hindrance in the economic growth of the state, Chhina said.
He said that due to inadequate power supply, the rural and urban industry was facing heavy economic losses.
Besides, contracted labour had to also suffer economic consequences due to power cuts as a majority of the labour force was working in the manufacturing units on contractual or performance basis and these power cuts reduced their daily income.
Furthermore, investors were reluctant to invest in Punjab because of this problem fearing the state cannot deliver sustainable growth without a regular supply of electricity and in turn bearing economic consequences.
China said that Punjab can only attract foreign direct investment or industry to the state if Punjab has constant and quality electricity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued