‘Punjab Govt looking into HC order on 2009 riots’
Jalandhar: The Punjab Government will take a decision on the High Court`s order for constituting a panel to look into the compensation claims of 2009 riot victims, after going through the court directive, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said on Wednesday.
"We are going through the Punjab and Haryana High Court order and any decision will be taken only after studying the directive in detail," Badal said on the sidelines of a seminar on NRIs here.
The high court had yesterday directed the government to set up a compensation panel within one week to decide the claims of victims of violence witnessed in some parts of the state in 2009, in the wake of the death of sect leader Sant Ramanand in the Austrian city Vienna.
Sant Ramanand, a leader of Dera Sachkhand Ballan, had died after Sikh followers clashed at a gurdwara in Vienna.
The court`s directions were passed on a PIL filed on the issue.
The court said the commission would work under the supervision of the HC and can approach court at any point of time for any assistance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video