‘Punjab Govt looking into HC order on 2009 riots’
Jalandhar: The Punjab Government will take a decision on the High Court`s order for constituting a panel to look into the compensation claims of 2009 riot victims, after going through the court directive, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said on Wednesday.
"We are going through the Punjab and Haryana High Court order and any decision will be taken only after studying the directive in detail," Badal said on the sidelines of a seminar on NRIs here.
The high court had yesterday directed the government to set up a compensation panel within one week to decide the claims of victims of violence witnessed in some parts of the state in 2009, in the wake of the death of sect leader Sant Ramanand in the Austrian city Vienna.
Sant Ramanand, a leader of Dera Sachkhand Ballan, had died after Sikh followers clashed at a gurdwara in Vienna.
The court`s directions were passed on a PIL filed on the issue.
The court said the commission would work under the supervision of the HC and can approach court at any point of time for any assistance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician