Punjab govt releases Rs 280.81 crore for scholarships
Chandigarh: The Punjab government has released Rs 280.81 crore for scholarships for scheduled castes students studying in degree courses, medical education, engineering courses and diploma and certificate courses.
Punjab Scheduled Castes and Backward Classes Minister Gulzar Singh Ranike said students whose parents have annual income of Rs 2.50 lakh would be eligible to get these scholarships.
He said 2.64 lakh students in 2,000 institutions were given scholarship for the year 2012-13 from out of the sanctioned amount of non-refundable fees.
Rs 31.75 crore has also been released during the current year for this purpose, he said. The minister said Rs 230 to Rs 1200 per month was being given to the students as scholarship amount.
Besides, Rs 1600 for educational tours, Rs 1600 for thesis writing and Rs 1200 for books was also being given by the Punjab government.
Fees amount was sent though online system to the institutions concerned and maintenance amount of the students transferred to their bank accounts, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video