Punjab govt sitting on CBI plea to prosecute assembly Speaker
New Delhi: The Punjab government has been
sitting for the last 10 months on the CBI`s plea seeking
sanction for prosecution of current Punjab Assembly Speaker
and senior Shiromani Akali Dal leader Nirmal Singh Kahlon in
an alleged recruitment scam.
Official sources said the case pertains to Kahlon`s
tenure as Minister of Rural Development and Panchayat during
the Akali Dal-BJP`s previous regime in 1996-2001.
They said though the CBI had finished its probe and had
sought permission of Punjab government to prosecute the leader
in February this year, it still has not received the nod.
"CBI has sought permission from the Punjab government. If
it feels, there is any substance in the case, it will give the
sanction. It is upto the government to go into the merits of
the case," Kahlon told agency over phone from Chandigarh.
Asked about the allegations of recruitment scam, he said,
"CBI`s evidence is based on an officer`s statement, who has
retracted it later. The recruitment was done after selection
committees were formed and all rules were followed."
Interestingly, the Department of Personnel and Training,
the nodal Ministry for CBI, is also yet to give sanction for
prosecution of an IAS officer, who is also an accused in the
In 2003, Punjab and Haryana High Court ordered a CBI
probe into the alleged scam in the recruitment of Panchayat
The case pertains to alleged scam involving selection of
909 panchayat secretaries made over the years from 1996 to
2001. It was alleged that the appointments were made after
collecting hefty amounts from the candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...