Punjab govt to allow sex inside jails?
Chandigarh: If the Punjab government has its way, prisoners across the state may soon get a chance to have sex with their spouses in jail premises.
Punjab`s head of prisons Shashi Kant has dispatched a letter to the state government requesting it to allow conjugal visit by a legal spouse.
A conjugal visit is a scheduled period in which a prisoner is permitted to spend several hours or days in private with a visitor, usually their legal spouse.
Shashi Kant’s letter says, "The proposal is part of the jails reforms programme in Punjab. Sex is a basic need like food and lack of it can give rise to unprotected sex among male prisoners."
But the proposal also imposes certain conditions. Inmates serving long punishment and those who have shown good behavior will be the lucky ones who would be allowed to meet their wives privately.
The letter proposes construction of separate houses in jail premises where spouses can meet their husbands and can have sex.
A petition by an inmate seeking permission to stay with wife in the jail is already pending in Punjab and Haryana High Court.
High Court senior advocate Anupam Gupta, who was appointed amicus curiae in the case, had advocated such steps and said it will be an important initiative in reforming prisons in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued