Punjab govt to allow sex inside jails?
Chandigarh: If the Punjab government has its way, prisoners across the state may soon get a chance to have sex with their spouses in jail premises.
Punjab`s head of prisons Shashi Kant has dispatched a letter to the state government requesting it to allow conjugal visit by a legal spouse.
A conjugal visit is a scheduled period in which a prisoner is permitted to spend several hours or days in private with a visitor, usually their legal spouse.
Shashi Kant’s letter says, "The proposal is part of the jails reforms programme in Punjab. Sex is a basic need like food and lack of it can give rise to unprotected sex among male prisoners."
But the proposal also imposes certain conditions. Inmates serving long punishment and those who have shown good behavior will be the lucky ones who would be allowed to meet their wives privately.
The letter proposes construction of separate houses in jail premises where spouses can meet their husbands and can have sex.
A petition by an inmate seeking permission to stay with wife in the jail is already pending in Punjab and Haryana High Court.
High Court senior advocate Anupam Gupta, who was appointed amicus curiae in the case, had advocated such steps and said it will be an important initiative in reforming prisons in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'