Punjab govt to provide free text books to SC/ST students
Chandigarh: In an effort to impart quality education to the marginalised, the Punjab government on Sunday said it would spend Rs 30 crore to provide free text books to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe students in the state.
"We are committed to quality education. The state government will provide free text books to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe students studying from class one to class eight in the state," Punjab Education Minister Sikander Singh Maluka said here.
He said that required infrastructure would also be provided to all the schools.
"The Punjab government is celebrating this year as education year so that the state, which is currently at number three in terms of education in the country, could be number one," Maluka added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon