Punjab govt to provide free text books to SC/ST students
Chandigarh: In an effort to impart quality education to the marginalised, the Punjab government on Sunday said it would spend Rs 30 crore to provide free text books to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe students in the state.
"We are committed to quality education. The state government will provide free text books to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe students studying from class one to class eight in the state," Punjab Education Minister Sikander Singh Maluka said here.
He said that required infrastructure would also be provided to all the schools.
"The Punjab government is celebrating this year as education year so that the state, which is currently at number three in terms of education in the country, could be number one," Maluka added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed