Punjab govt to set up memorial at cow carcasses recovery site
Chandigarh: The Punjab government has announced setting up of a memorial at the site of the factory in Mansa district where carcasses of around 25 cows were recovered on June 9.
An announcement in this regard was made after a delegation led by Punjab Gau Sewa Board Chairman Kimti Bhagat met Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Tuesday evening, an official spokesman said on Wednesday.
Badal assured the delegation that government will soon acquire the factory premises for the purpose.
Badal asked the DGP to thoroughly probe the pending cases of cow slaughter against 270 persons.
A law against cow slaughter, with provision of imprisonment of up to ten years for the guilty already exists in the state.
He also assured the delegation that the government will look into their demands for a specific legal cell to deal with cases of cow slaughter, duty exemption on purchase of land meant for `Gaushalas` and exclusive power plants for the `Gaushalas` to meet their demand for power.
Badal directed the authorities to ask all municipal corporations to sign MoUs with local `Gaushalas` for proper upkeep of the cows.
Around 25 cows were found dead near a factory on Barnala-Mansa road in Joga village on June 9, triggering protests by the locals and imposition of curfew to restore normalcy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- US reaffirms cooperation with India in fight against terrorism
- Watch: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra’s desi swag will make you go crazy!
- Search for missing IAF AN-32 aircraft continues for sixth day
- Man who tried to commit suicide outside Chhattisgarh CM's house dies
- Watch how you can keep your bookshelves neat and clean!