Punjab Govt withdraws order downgrading AGs post
Chandigarh: The Punjab Government Wednesday withdrew its order downgrading the post of the top law officer of the state - Advocate General - to a post of a "contractual employee".
The Judicial branch- 1 of the Department of Home Affairs and Justice had recently downgraded the post of the Advocate General to that of a "contractual employee" even though the law officer had been given the rank equivalent to that of a cabinet minister.
Reiterating the constitutional sanctity of the post of Advocate General, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal today directed the Home Department "to immediately withdraw the letters written to the AG against the express authority of the state government," an official spokesman said here.
Taking cognisance of reports in a section of the media regarding downgrading the post of Punjab Advocate General, the Chief Minister asked the Principal Secretary Home D S Bains to personally call on the Advocate General Ashok Aggarwal to explain the entire position.
Badal has also asked the Principal Secretary Home to hold an inquiry into the matter to ascertain the facts and fix the responsibility of the concerned erring officer/officials for this lapse.
The spokesman said that the state government was ever committed to uphold the constitutional sanctity and authority of the AG`s office.
The communication from the state`s Home Department had said that the AG was like any other law officer hired on contract basis.
The communication had been sent to extend the "contract" of the law officers of the state beyond May 31 when the present term was to expire.
The posts whose tenure had been extended included that of the Advocate General, Senior Additional Advocate General, Additional Advocate General, Senior Deputy Advocate General and Assistant Advocate General.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you