Punjab, Haryana farmers taken into preventive custody
Chandigarh: Around 100 farmers from Punjab and Haryana, led by BJP`s farmers` wing, were taken into preventive custody near Zirakpur here, as they tried to march to Governor House to submit a memorandum detailing their demands, including right in profit of crops.
The farmers, led by BJP Kisan Morcha national president Om Prakash Dhankar, were on their way to the Governor for submitting their memorandum detailing 16 rights of farmers mentioned in the national charter of demands.
Besides the right in crops profit, purchase and bonus rights, security rights in times of crisis and right to cheap resources availability were some of the demands included in the memorandum.
"Implementation of pro-farmer policies, assured source of monthly income to farmers, promoting and implementing recommendations of the National Commission on Farmers report were some of the main demands," Dhankar told reporters here.
"With the farmers facing the worst economic crisis, they were even asking for permission to sell their organs to sustain the expenses of their families," Dhankar said.
"Except urea, all other inputs in farming are in control of multinational companies. In the last 15 years, 2.5 lakh farmers have been forced to commit suicide as paddy and wheat no more supplement their income," he said.
However, the protesters, were prevented by police from marching towards the Governor House and taken into custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!