Punjab, Haryana farmers taken into preventive custody
Chandigarh: Around 100 farmers from Punjab and Haryana, led by BJP`s farmers` wing, were taken into preventive custody near Zirakpur here, as they tried to march to Governor House to submit a memorandum detailing their demands, including right in profit of crops.
The farmers, led by BJP Kisan Morcha national president Om Prakash Dhankar, were on their way to the Governor for submitting their memorandum detailing 16 rights of farmers mentioned in the national charter of demands.
Besides the right in crops profit, purchase and bonus rights, security rights in times of crisis and right to cheap resources availability were some of the demands included in the memorandum.
"Implementation of pro-farmer policies, assured source of monthly income to farmers, promoting and implementing recommendations of the National Commission on Farmers report were some of the main demands," Dhankar told reporters here.
"With the farmers facing the worst economic crisis, they were even asking for permission to sell their organs to sustain the expenses of their families," Dhankar said.
"Except urea, all other inputs in farming are in control of multinational companies. In the last 15 years, 2.5 lakh farmers have been forced to commit suicide as paddy and wheat no more supplement their income," he said.
However, the protesters, were prevented by police from marching towards the Governor House and taken into custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31