Punjab hit by scarcity for sand, Badal looks at unused material
Chandigarh: Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Tuesday asked various departments to properly utilize the material lying unused at various government construction sites as Punjab faces scarcity for sand. Owing to a mining ban the prices for sand are sky-high in past few months.
Badal asked the Punjab Mandi Board, the Public Works Department (PWD) and the irrigation department to make optimum utilization of the 93.15 lakh tonnes GSB (Gravel Sand Boulder) lying unutilized at various sites.
Scarcity of sand and other construction material has hit the state following a ban imposed by the state government last year on sand mining from river beds and streams.
The price of the available sand has gone up by 10 times in certain cases and slowed down construction activity in the state. The projects affected include road construction and other public works.
At a meeting of all these departments with the chief minister here Tuesday, he was apprised that 88 lakh tonnes of GSB was stacked at the construction site of Ranjit Sagar Dam (RSD), four lakh at Handwal village in Hoshiarpur district and 1.15 lakh tonnes at Balachaur in Nawanshehar district.
Badal also directed the industries and commerce department to work out the modalities for making construction material readily available to the public at the affordable rates.
"The industries department has been given the mandate to formalize the technical and economic viability of the mining material from the entire state so that the overshooting prices of construction material get regulated and supply was made to all strata on the reasonable rates," a state government spokesman said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed