Punjab IAS officer arrested in Rs 250 crore land scam
Chandigarh: A senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer in Punjab, on the run for a few months, was arrested by the vigilance bureau for his alleged involvement in a Rs 250 crore land scam in the state`s Patiala district, police said Friday.
Vikas Garg, a former deputy commissioner of Patiala, on the run from police for the past few months, was arrested and presented before a court in Patiala city, 80 km from here, vigilance bureau Senior Superintendent of Police Preetam Singh said.
Garg was suspended after his name figured in the illegal sale of prime government land worth Rs 250 crore in Patiala town when he was heading the district administration there in 2011. He was evading arrest ever since he was booked in the case.
Over 6,000 square yards of prime government land, commanding current market price of Rs 250 crore, was sold allegedly with the active connivance of government officials.
Garg, four revenue officers of Patiala district, three property dealers and two purchasers were booked by the vigilance bureau in November last year after the land scam was exposed. They were charged with cheating, forgery, breach of trust, conspiracy and other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Those booked included the then district revenue officer Rajbir Singh, naib tehsildar GS Walia, kanungo Pritpal Singh, patwari Suresh Kumar and property dealers Ravdeep Singh, NP Singh and Devinder Singh Sandhu. Jaswant Singh and Yashpal Aggarwal, who purchased the land, were also booked.
The land, belonging to the office of the district chief medical officer, was shown as private land and sold after getting its registry done fraudulently. Vigilance enquiries revealed that bribes of Rs 2 crore were paid to officials for completing the land deal.
While the vigilance bureau was able to arrest others involved in the case, Garg was on the run as he tried to seek anticipatory bail from various courts to save himself. His bail plea was, however, rejected by the high court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced