Punjab IG police suspended
Chandigarh: The Punjab government on Friday suspended a controversial senior police officer on charges of keeping 31 gunmen in an unauthorised manner and misusing them.
Vigilance Inspector General of Police (IGP) S K Asthana has been placed under suspension with immediate effect, an official spokesman said here.
"Disciplinary proceedings shall be conducted on a day to day basis and completed at the earliest in a period not exceeding two months," he said.
Appropriate departmental action shall also be taken against those units which provided the unauthorised manpower to Asthana, the spokesman said.
The action has been taken on the directive of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal who also holds Home portfolio.
There were complaints against Asthana about manpower kept by him, sources said, adding that recently the DGP had told the Punjab and Haryana High Court on a petition that there were 31 unauthorised gunmen placed at the IGP`s services.
Earlier, Asthana was replaced as DIG Patiala range by the Election Commission before the Punjab Assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor