Punjab: Journalist assaulted for protesting eve teasers
Jalandhar: A television journalist was on Monday assaulted by some unidentified persons when he tried to protest the teasing of a girl at a market area here, police said.
"Ashwini Malhotra, a journalist with a news channel, was shopping with his family members when some persons in an inebriated condition teased a girl," Deputy Commissioner of Police Sarabjit Singh said.
Passersby, including Malhotra, objected to the teasing, he said, adding the journalist was attacked when he tried to inform the police.
Malhotra was taken to the district hospital.
Eyewitnesses said some family members accompanying the journalist were also targeted.
Singh said none will be spared, when asked whether the culprits were close to a former MLA.
The incident comes five days after an assistant sub-inspector of police was shot dead allegedly by a ruling SAD leader and his associates in Amritsar when the cop tried to resist his daughter`s harassment by them, sparking a national outrage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors