Punjab: Journalist assaulted for protesting eve teasers
Jalandhar: A television journalist was on Monday assaulted by some unidentified persons when he tried to protest the teasing of a girl at a market area here, police said.
"Ashwini Malhotra, a journalist with a news channel, was shopping with his family members when some persons in an inebriated condition teased a girl," Deputy Commissioner of Police Sarabjit Singh said.
Passersby, including Malhotra, objected to the teasing, he said, adding the journalist was attacked when he tried to inform the police.
Malhotra was taken to the district hospital.
Eyewitnesses said some family members accompanying the journalist were also targeted.
Singh said none will be spared, when asked whether the culprits were close to a former MLA.
The incident comes five days after an assistant sub-inspector of police was shot dead allegedly by a ruling SAD leader and his associates in Amritsar when the cop tried to resist his daughter`s harassment by them, sparking a national outrage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh