Punjab: Journalist assaulted for protesting eve teasers
Jalandhar: A television journalist was on Monday assaulted by some unidentified persons when he tried to protest the teasing of a girl at a market area here, police said.
"Ashwini Malhotra, a journalist with a news channel, was shopping with his family members when some persons in an inebriated condition teased a girl," Deputy Commissioner of Police Sarabjit Singh said.
Passersby, including Malhotra, objected to the teasing, he said, adding the journalist was attacked when he tried to inform the police.
Malhotra was taken to the district hospital.
Eyewitnesses said some family members accompanying the journalist were also targeted.
Singh said none will be spared, when asked whether the culprits were close to a former MLA.
The incident comes five days after an assistant sub-inspector of police was shot dead allegedly by a ruling SAD leader and his associates in Amritsar when the cop tried to resist his daughter`s harassment by them, sparking a national outrage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29