Punjab made maximum sacrifices for country`s freedom: Badal
Patiala: Punjab`s contribution to the country`s freedom struggle was the maximum with nearly 80 percent of the freedom fighters being from the state, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said during his Independence Day address on Friday.
Badal, who unfurled the national flag at the Yadvindra Public School ground here, said that Punjabis made sacrifices for the country`s freedom despite having just two percent of its population.
He said that watershed movements and big names among freedom fighters like Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru, Lala Lajpat Rai, Udham Singh, Kartar Singh Sarabha and many others led from the front for the country`s freedom.
Urging people to take a pledge to make Punjab a vibrant and progressive state, Badal said the state needed to be freed from evils like drug menace and unemployment.
"Valiant Punjabis had inherited the spirit of self sacrifice and patriotism from Guru Nanak Dev ji and other gurus who had waged a relentless battle against injustice, tyranny and oppression to safeguard the human rights of the innocent and helpless people," Badal said.
He said that the Punjab government was setting up a world class `Jang-e-Azaadi` memorial near Jalandhar at a cost of Rs.200 crore to showcase the unparalleled contribution of freedom fighters.
Meanwhile in Haryana, Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Friday said that the state would have state-of-the-art infrastructure, latest healthcare and education facilities, rapid industrialisation, maximum job opportunities for the youth and augmented drinking water supply in villages.
Addressing the gathering in Panipat city after unfurling the national flag, Hooda said that Haryana had emerged as the front-runner among states in terms of development.
In Chandigarh, the national flag was unfurled by Punjab Governor and UT Administrator Shivraj Patil. He sought the cooperation of people in making Chandigarh a world class city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls