Punjab Minister blames Cong for power crisis
Rajpura: A Punjab minister on Sunday blamed former Congress Chief Minister Amarinder Singh for the present power shortage in the state, saying he had not sent any proposal to the Centre for setting up power plants.
Instead of generating power, Singh believed in purchasing power from private sellers at exorbitant rate, Revenue and Information and Public Relations Minister Bikram Singh Majithia told reporters here.
He said it was unfortunate that instead of making Punjab self-sufficient in power generation and attracting investment in the industrial sector, the previous Congress government had "scuttled" projects approved by the SAD-BJP government in the past.
Majithia claimed that it was Badal and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who envisioned super mega thermal plants, got them approved from 9 Union ministries, acquired land, got process of co-linkage initiated and entered power purchase agreements with them.
He said that despite Punjab Congress leadership creating hurdles at every step, three thermal plants were nearing completion and would start generating power by next year.
Majithia said Punjab was now paying dearly for the "zero performance" of the previous Congress government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'