Punjab municipal polls June 7
Chandigarh: The state election commission in Punjab Monday issued the notification for elections to municipal councils and other local bodies in the state. The polls will be held June 7.
A spokesman of the commission said that the model code of conduct came into effect immediately.
The last date for submitting nominations will be May 24. Counting of votes and declaration of results will take place June 10, he ad¬ded.
This is the first election in the state after the Jan 30 assembly polls in which the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (SAD-BJP) alliance defeated the rival Congress.
Akali Dal president Sukhbir Singh Badal said that Akali Dal candidates will contest the poll on the party symbol.
Badal said that as per the seat-sharing agreement of SAD-BJP alliance, both parties would contest on equal number of seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists