Punjab not using central grants properly: Santosh Chaudhary
Phagwara: Union minister of state for Health and Family welfare Santosh Chaudhary on Saturday slammed the SAD-BJP led Punjab government for not using central grants properly under National Rural Health Mission.
"Grants of Rs 12,000 crore were either left unspent or diverted for other purposes...As many 100 hospitals were to be upgraded but that was not done, no new hospital staff was recruited, poor patients were suffering while private hospitals were mushrooming," she alleged while talking to media here today.
Chaudhary said a sum of Rs 50 crore were given for providing free medicines but state hospitals still lacked such medicines.
The minister said that a grant of Rs 10 crore to Punjab had been discontinued as state government had not removed Chief Minister`s photo from 108 ambulances.
She also expressed disappointment over the pitiable condition of civil hospitals in Phagwara.
Union minister said that generic medicines should be prescribed to poor patients in order to make healthcare system more affordable.
"Generic medicines are cost-saving and much cheaper than the branded ones," she said.
However, she said since health was a state subject, Centre could not force states for prescribing generic drugs.
The minister also announced that an MoU was signed between the Health Ministry and the Ministry of Human Resources of Hungary for co-operation in the field of traditional systems of medicine.
She said MoU will give boost to co-operation between the two countries in the field of traditional systems of medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened