Punjab Panchayat polls: Turnout 70 percent, 30 hurt in clashes
Chandigarh: Amid sporadic violence that left over 30 injured, an estimated 70 percent of 1.1 crore rural voters exercised their franchise for Panchayat Samiti and Zila Parishad polls in Punjab on Sunday.
Nearly 70 percent polling was reported as per initial reports, State Election Commissioner SS Brar said.
Clashes between rival supporters at some places left 30 injured, police said adding five car were set ablaze and three more vehicles damaged in the violence.
However, Brar said polling was by and large peaceful and no major incident of violence was reported from any part of the state.
Polling was conutermanded at six booths in Ferozepur, Faridkot, Moga and Muktsar and re-voting would take place tomorrow.
The polling was held to elect 331 members of 22 Zila Parishads and 2,902 of 146 Panchayat Samitis.
The counting of votes will take place on May 21.
Security force personnel were deployed in strength to ensure smooth, free and fair elections.
All political parties contested the Panchayat Samiti and Zila Parishad polls on their election symbols.
The Congress tied up with the People`s Party of Punjab and the Left parties in some areas.
Last time, the SAD-BJP, which was in power, swept the polls and the Congress, then ruling the state, in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant