Punjab police recovers major haul of arms, ammunition
Chandigarh: In a major weapons haul, the Punjab Police has unearthed an inter-state gang supplying ammunition to Maoists and seized 270 revolvers and around
8,000 cartridges after arresting 15 people, including seven constables.
The inter-state gang was involved in selling weapons made in factories in Bihar, Uttar Pardesh and Madhya Pradesh.
They used to stamp the weapons with the emblems of renowned armament factories and passed these as genuine arms, Punjab Police chief PS Gill told reporters here.
The modus operandi of the gang was to buy revolvers or pistols at the cost of Rs 35,000 which were then sold upto Rs two lakh after forged documentation.
The gang was the prime suppliers to the Maoists and their connection with other terror groups is being investigated, he said.
"We have inputs that certain weapons have been sold in Maoists areas," he said, adding that the state police was in talks with central agencies to go into the depth of the case. So far 270 revolvers and around 8000 cartridges have been recovered from them from Mansa district of the state, he said.
He said that the entire cartridge stock of state police would also be audited.
The police has arrested 15 people in this connection, including seven constables and a woman, and were conducting raids to apprehend 14 others. The arrested persons are in police custody till May 4.
At least ten factories, operative in Uttar Pardesh and Bihar, are involved in manufacturing of the weapons, he said, adding the business of selling arms was running for the past four years.
It is estimated that the gang had sold around 4,000 weapons in Punjab and other states, Gill said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands