Punjab police recovers major haul of arms, ammunition
Chandigarh: In a major weapons haul, the Punjab Police has unearthed an inter-state gang supplying ammunition to Maoists and seized 270 revolvers and around
8,000 cartridges after arresting 15 people, including seven constables.
The inter-state gang was involved in selling weapons made in factories in Bihar, Uttar Pardesh and Madhya Pradesh.
They used to stamp the weapons with the emblems of renowned armament factories and passed these as genuine arms, Punjab Police chief PS Gill told reporters here.
The modus operandi of the gang was to buy revolvers or pistols at the cost of Rs 35,000 which were then sold upto Rs two lakh after forged documentation.
The gang was the prime suppliers to the Maoists and their connection with other terror groups is being investigated, he said.
"We have inputs that certain weapons have been sold in Maoists areas," he said, adding that the state police was in talks with central agencies to go into the depth of the case. So far 270 revolvers and around 8000 cartridges have been recovered from them from Mansa district of the state, he said.
He said that the entire cartridge stock of state police would also be audited.
The police has arrested 15 people in this connection, including seven constables and a woman, and were conducting raids to apprehend 14 others. The arrested persons are in police custody till May 4.
At least ten factories, operative in Uttar Pardesh and Bihar, are involved in manufacturing of the weapons, he said, adding the business of selling arms was running for the past four years.
It is estimated that the gang had sold around 4,000 weapons in Punjab and other states, Gill said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court
- Adorable! This cute baby goes to bed with his best mate dog – Watch video
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday
- Delhi, Jammu, Shimla see hottest day of season; Telangana toll 178
- Rahul Gandhi to be Congress chief in 2016: Jairam Ramesh