Punjab polls: Cong yet to announce its candidates`
Chandigarh: The Congress is yet to announce
its candidates for the January 30 Punjab Assembly polls, even
as ruling Shiromani Akali Dal has already announced its first
list of candidates.
"We will announce the candidates` name in the next 3-4
days," Congress in-charge for Punjab, Gulchain Singh Charak
said here on Sunday.
When asked if the delay would give an edge to SAD, he
said, "SAD is a regional party, while Congress is a national
party where several processes are followed before the
candidates are finally selected. There are two-three meetings
more to be held after which we will come out with the names."
Charak also dismissed speculation of internal wrangling
in the party.
"We had received 1,500 applications (for 117 seats). But
there is no internal wrangling. The consultation process is on
and we have to keep winnability factor in mind," he said.
According to political analysts, Congress faces the
tricky task of adjusting some of the defectors, including
PPP`s Kushaldeep Dhillon, while at the same time avoiding
ruffling feathers of its own members who would be aspiring for
SAD had already announced names of 48 candidates for the
polls. The party led by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh
Badal is contesting on 94 seats, while the remaining 23 seats
would be contested by its ally the BJP.
Punjab will have single-phase elections in 117
constituencies. The counting will be on March 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days