Punjab rape case: Dismissed cop arrested
Patiala: The Punjab Police Saturday arrested its dismissed police officer for his role in the abetment to suicide of a teenaged rape victim of Patiala district.
Assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Nasib Singh, who was in-charge of the police station of Badshahpur village, where the victim committed suicide Wednesday evening, was arrested during special checking by the police.
The ASI was dismissed from service Thursday and later booked for abetment to suicide of the victim.
The girl, 18, who was allegedly gang-raped by three men last month in Patiala district, committed suicide in her village, 100 km from Chandigarh, by consuming poison after local police officers not only refused to register a case but also humiliated her by calling her to the police station repeatedly and asking uncomfortable questions.
In her suicide note, the girl mentioned her harassment by police and the fact that she was being pressurized allegedly by them to compromise with the rapists. She alleged that she was also being threatened by the rapists who were roaming around freely.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who holds the home portfolio, Thursday ordered the dismissal from service of the area station house officer, Gurcharan Singh, and Nasib Singh. Deputy Superintendent of Police Harpreet Singh was also suspended.
After her suicide, police Thursday arrested two men and a woman in the rape case.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Friday constituted a high-level team headed by Additional Director General of Police (Crime) Jaswinder Singh to visit the village to probe the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!