Punjab restores Advocate General`s Cabinet status
Chandigarh: Three weeks after the post of Punjab Advocate General was downgraded to a post of a "contractual employee", the state government on Wednesday restored the status to the state`s top law officer.
"The Punjab Government has accorded rank and status of a Cabinet Minister to Advocate General of Punjab Ashok Aggarwal," an official release said here today, adding that a notification has been issued in this regard.
Earlier this month, the state government had withdrew its order downgrading the post of the top law officer of the state.
The Judicial branch- 1 of the Department of Home Affairs and Justice had downgraded the post of the AG to that of a "contractual employee" even though the law officer had been given the rank equivalent to that of a Cabinet minister.
Reiterating the Constitutional sanctity of the post, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had on May 9 directed the Home Department "to immediately withdraw the letter written to the AG."
Taking cognizance of reports in a section of the media, the CM had asked the Principal Secretary Home (PSH) to personally call on the AG Ashok Aggarwal and explain the entire position.
Badal had also asked the PSH to hold an inquiry into the matter to ascertain the facts and fix the responsibility of the concerned erring officer/officials for the lapse.
The release did not detail the action, if any, taken against the officials who had issued the earlier order downgrading the post of the AG.
The communication was sent to extend the "contract" of the law officers of the state beyond May 31 when the present term was to expire had added that the AG was like any other law officer hired on contract basis.
The posts whose tenure had been extended included that of the AG, Senior Additional Advocate General, Additional Advocate General, Senior Deputy Advocate General and Assistant Advocate General.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015