Punjab sanctions Rs 14.41 bn project for re-lining canals
Chandigarh: The Punjab government on Saturday sanctioned Rs 14.41 billion (Rs 1,441.26 crore) for re-lining the Rajasthan and Sirhind feeder canals.
The project will be executed over the next four years, a state government spokesman said here.
Punjab, which supplies nearly 50 percent of the foodgrain stock to the national kitty, largely relies on irrigation canals to enable farmers get enough water for their crops.
The re-lining of the canals is important to check loss of water in the canal system owing to leakages in the side-lining and minor breaches.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has also approved a Rs 5.4 billion Kandi canal stage-II project, the spokesman said.
Badal has directed the state irrigation department to formulate a system for regular cleaning of the canals in the state every year so that water is put to optimal use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery