Punjab sanctions Rs 14.41 bn project for re-lining canals
Chandigarh: The Punjab government on Saturday sanctioned Rs 14.41 billion (Rs 1,441.26 crore) for re-lining the Rajasthan and Sirhind feeder canals.
The project will be executed over the next four years, a state government spokesman said here.
Punjab, which supplies nearly 50 percent of the foodgrain stock to the national kitty, largely relies on irrigation canals to enable farmers get enough water for their crops.
The re-lining of the canals is important to check loss of water in the canal system owing to leakages in the side-lining and minor breaches.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has also approved a Rs 5.4 billion Kandi canal stage-II project, the spokesman said.
Badal has directed the state irrigation department to formulate a system for regular cleaning of the canals in the state every year so that water is put to optimal use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'