Punjab SC commission urges PM to bring back Sarabjit to India
Chandigarh: Punjab Scheduled Caste (SC) Commission on Tuesday requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to act at the highest level to bring death row convict Sarabjit Singh, lying in coma in a Lahore hospital, to India for better treatment.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, Commission Chairman Rajesh Bagha said that the condition of Sarabjit, who belongs to the SC category, is "very critical".
The matter should be considered on humanitarian grounds and the Union government should ensure the return of Sarabjit to India, he said.
Bagha requested the Prime Minister to take up the matter with his counterpart in Pakistan and get the sentence of Sarabjit pardoned.
Meanwhile, prayer meetings for Sarabjit`s recovery were held at his native Bhikiwind village in Tarn Taran district and several other places across Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred