Punjab SC commission urges PM to bring back Sarabjit to India
Chandigarh: Punjab Scheduled Caste (SC) Commission on Tuesday requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to act at the highest level to bring death row convict Sarabjit Singh, lying in coma in a Lahore hospital, to India for better treatment.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, Commission Chairman Rajesh Bagha said that the condition of Sarabjit, who belongs to the SC category, is "very critical".
The matter should be considered on humanitarian grounds and the Union government should ensure the return of Sarabjit to India, he said.
Bagha requested the Prime Minister to take up the matter with his counterpart in Pakistan and get the sentence of Sarabjit pardoned.
Meanwhile, prayer meetings for Sarabjit`s recovery were held at his native Bhikiwind village in Tarn Taran district and several other places across Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq