Punjab SC commission urges PM to bring back Sarabjit to India
Chandigarh: Punjab Scheduled Caste (SC) Commission on Tuesday requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to act at the highest level to bring death row convict Sarabjit Singh, lying in coma in a Lahore hospital, to India for better treatment.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, Commission Chairman Rajesh Bagha said that the condition of Sarabjit, who belongs to the SC category, is "very critical".
The matter should be considered on humanitarian grounds and the Union government should ensure the return of Sarabjit to India, he said.
Bagha requested the Prime Minister to take up the matter with his counterpart in Pakistan and get the sentence of Sarabjit pardoned.
Meanwhile, prayer meetings for Sarabjit`s recovery were held at his native Bhikiwind village in Tarn Taran district and several other places across Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon