Punjab sets up Committee for amendments to protect women
Chandigarh: The Punjab government today constituted a state committee headed by a retired High Court Chief Justice to look into and suggest possible amendments in the Criminal Laws and other relevant laws in order to provide speedy justice and book the perpetrators of heinous crime committed on women.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal today constituted the five-member Committee headed by Justice V K Bali, Retired Chief Justice of High Court of Kerala and former Judge of Punjab and Haryana High Court and High Court of Rajasthan to look into the issue and submit its report within 60 days, an official spokesman said here.
The other members of the Committee are Ashok Aggarwal, Advocate General, Punjab and two former Judges of Punjab and Haryana High Court Justice S K Jain and Justice Bakhshish Kaur. Principal Secretary Home, Punjab who shall also act as Secretary of the Committee, he added.
The Committee would review the present laws and look into possible amendments in the Criminal Laws and other related laws for expeditious and effective justice.
The spokesman added that the Committee may suggest various ways and measures which could expedite the investigation, prosecution and trial as also provide for stringent punishment to the culprits of heinous crimes in cases of aggravated assault on women.
He said that the Committee would submit its report to the Chief Minister within 60 days for action and implementation.
Within its ambit, the Committee would also look at required police reforms; integration with citizen bodies including Panchayats as also the ultimate setting up of fast-track courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'